Hintz House

Hintz House (Pharmacy Museum), sometimes called the Mauksch-Hintz House is a historical and architectural monument located on nr. 1 King Ferdinand Street at the corner with Unirii Square.

Since 1573 the building has housed the first pharmacy in Cluj. Then in 1752, the pharmacy is leased to private pharmacists, the first being the pharmacist Tobias Mauksch, a dignitary at the Evangelical-Lutheran Church, located across the street. During this period murals were made in the workshop, preserved to this very and the model of the main façade, whose image we know, unfortunately, only because a photo taken by the photographer Ferenc Veress in 1868.

casa hintz interior

In the former pharmacy workshop that has operated in these space since the mid eighteenth century, in the vaults and on top of the walls, was kept a special mural that is unique in Transylvania, Baroque, and ordered by the pharmacist Tobias Mauksch and completed in 1766.

In the vault room are four symbolic representations, framed by oval medallions in the shape of a heart. The oval medallion located on the north side of the vault is the tree of life framed by two serpents of Aesculapius, and the other medallion, on the south side, is a crane with a stone claws, sitting on a leafy branch, representing symbol of vigilance.

In the early nineteenth century the Mauksch-Hintz House became the property of the Szláby, and since 1851 came by inheritance into the possession of the Hintz family, which remained the owner until 1949. In 1949 the house was nationalized, and the “Communist state care” led to this historic building becoming a pie shop.

In 1950 the building at the corner of the room was transformed into a walkway. During this last phase of construction of the building facades were given a simple image, unrepresentative, vertical surfaces without joints and rectangular holes without borders.

Today the building houses the collection of the History of Pharmacy of the Museum of Transylvanian History, whose foundations were laid by Gyula Orient (1869-1940). The origin of the museum is the collection of the Transylvanian pharmaceutical items donated by the Cluj university professor, Gyula Orient, exhibited in 1904 in one of the exhibition halls of the Transylvanian Museum later donated to the Transylvanian Museum collection. The current exhibition of the Mauksch-Hintz house was designed in 1954 by Professor Valeriu Bologa, head of the History of Medicine and Pharmacy.

Source: Wikipedia

www.muzeulfarmaciei.ro

www.enciclopediavirtuala.ro